Our Statement of Covenant
We, the people of the New York Conference of the United Church of Christ, in covenant with God, relying on the Holy Spirit, and in partnership with one another, are called by Christ to empower each local setting to be vital in its spiritual life and ministry, and to nurture community and shared ministry among all our local settings, Associations and regions.To accomplish this mission, we are committed to:
- Celebrate God’s Spirit working among us through faith-sharing and worship.
- Build inclusive, in-depth, loving Christian community within and among all our local settings.
- Support and equip each local setting in its unique life and calling.
- Live by the principles of mutual empowerment in which we, as laity and authorized ministers, local settings and Associations, value each other, share our stories, and humbling listen to and learn from one another.
- Support good communication among and between all UCC settings within the New York Conference, and between the New York Conference and the national church.
- Share resources, leaders, programs, and grassroots events among local settings, Associations and regions
- Equip, educate, and nurture church leaders, both laity and authorized, in all settings of Conference life.
- Witness to the gospel, and work for justice, peace and the integrity of creation, in every setting of our church and world, both globally and locally.
- Embrace and promote multicultural and multiracial Christian community which is inclusive of all people of diverse cultures, races, genders, ages, sexual orientations, and abilities.
- Give concrete expression to our unity with all faith communities in the Body of Christ, honoring and supporting our ecumenical partnership with the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) as well as our formula of agreement with the Presbyterian Church USA, Reformed Church in America and Evangelical Lutheran Church in America.