Lenten Veggie Fast
(Blessing the Earth)
Our goal is to engage in the spiritual discipline of a healthy diet and cleansing lifestyle that "blesses the earth" through ecologically sustainable and justice focused food choices and consumption habits.
How does it work?
At least one day per week during Lent, each person who "pledges participation" will eat a mindful diet focused on blessing the earth as well as her/his mind, body and spirit. We will provide education and inspiration for the journey.
We ask participants to pledge during Lent to:
- Eat locally grown, raised and produced foods whenever possible... reducing their carbon footprint and supporting local farmers.
- Observe at least one meatless day... for your health and the health of the planet (We recommend "Meatless Monday")
- Purchase and consume Fair Trade coffee and other products... a matter of justice by providing living wages for farm workers.
- Purchase and consume less processed foods... less packaging... less waste
- Eat produce grown organically or without chemicals... for the health of planet and you
- Avoid GMOs (Genetically Modified Organism)... encouraging biodiversity- for the health of you and the planet
- Share your journey, ideas and challenges on our Facebook page
You can Pledge NOW to join the New York Conference "Lenten Veggie Fast (Blessing the Earth) simply by "liking" the new Facebook page where we will build our online community around the Lenten fast. It is not too early to start posting vegetarian recipes that you recommend.
Our bulletin insert has a "tear off" section to be placed in offering plates so those without internet can also pledge to participate. We will ask pastors to let us know the number of persons who have placed the tear off in your offering plates. We don't need to know the names of individuals just the number of people. During Lent we will provide each church who wishes to support the Lenten Veggie Fast with very brief "tidbits" of information on the benefits of the fast.
What's happening at UCCNY.
Pre-General Synod "My Thoughts"
Wednesday, June 5, 2019
State of the Conference
Saturday, May 18, 2019
Donate now to help continuing recovery in Puerto Rico
Wednesday, May 1, 2019
UCCNY announces new Associate Conference Minister for Congregational Vitality
Monday, March 11, 2019
Mayor appoints Bronx pastor executive director for faith, community partnerships
Wednesday, February 20, 2019