Lenten Veggie Fast
(Blessing the Earth)
Our goal is to engage in the spiritual discipline of a healthy diet and cleansing lifestyle that "blesses the earth" through ecologically sustainable and justice focused food choices and consumption habits.
How does it work?
At least one day per week during Lent, each person who "pledges participation" will eat a mindful diet focused on blessing the earth as well as her/his mind, body and spirit. We will provide education and inspiration for the journey.
We ask participants to pledge during Lent to:
- Eat locally grown, raised and produced foods whenever possible... reducing their carbon footprint and supporting local farmers.
- Observe at least one meatless day... for your health and the health of the planet (We recommend "Meatless Monday")
- Purchase and consume Fair Trade coffee and other products... a matter of justice by providing living wages for farm workers.
- Purchase and consume less processed foods... less packaging... less waste
- Eat produce grown organically or without chemicals... for the health of planet and you
- Avoid GMOs (Genetically Modified Organism)... encouraging biodiversity- for the health of you and the planet
- Share your journey, ideas and challenges on our Facebook page
You can Pledge NOW to join the New York Conference "Lenten Veggie Fast (Blessing the Earth) simply by "liking" the new Facebook page where we will build our online community around the Lenten fast. It is not too early to start posting vegetarian recipes that you recommend.
Our bulletin insert has a "tear off" section to be placed in offering plates so those without internet can also pledge to participate. We will ask pastors to let us know the number of persons who have placed the tear off in your offering plates. We don't need to know the names of individuals just the number of people. During Lent we will provide each church who wishes to support the Lenten Veggie Fast with very brief "tidbits" of information on the benefits of the fast.
What's happening at UCCNY.
Mountain Rise and Viviendo en Amor y Fe Together at last!
Tuesday, October 24, 2017
Conference holds New & Right Spirit Anti-Racism Training
Sunday, October 15, 2017
NYC immigration activists rally around Haitian UCC member under threat of deportation
Wednesday, July 19, 2017
State of the Conference 2017
Tuesday, May 30, 2017
Annual Meeting 2017 a productive weekend
Tuesday, May 30, 2017