Lenten Veggie Fast (Blessing the Earth)
Tuesday, January 20, 2015
Lenten Veggie Fast
(Blessing the Earth)
Our goal is to engage in the spiritual discipline of a healthy diet and cleansing lifestyle that "blesses the earth" through ecologically sustainable and justice focused food choices and consumption habits.
How does it work?
At least one day per week during Lent, each person who "pledges participation" will eat a mindful diet focused on blessing the earth as well as her/his mind, body and spirit. We will provide education and inspiration for the journey.
We ask participants to pledge during Lent to:
- Eat locally grown, raised and produced foods whenever possible... reducing their carbon footprint and supporting local farmers.
- Observe at least one meatless day... for your health and the health of the planet (We recommend "Meatless Monday")
- Purchase and consume Fair Trade coffee and other products... a matter of justice by providing living wages for farm workers.
- Purchase and consume less processed foods... less packaging... less waste
- Eat produce grown organically or without chemicals... for the health of planet and you
- Avoid GMOs (Genetically Modified Organism)... encouraging biodiversity- for the health of you and the planet
- Share your journey, ideas and challenges on our Facebook page
You can Pledge NOW to join the New York Conference "Lenten Veggie Fast (Blessing the Earth) simply by "liking" the new Facebook page where we will build our online community around the Lenten fast. It is not too early to start posting vegetarian recipes that you recommend.
What's happening at UCCNY.
West Center Chancel Choir Quartet to present special concert on May 21
Sunday, May 14, 2017
New York retiree serves as UCC Partner in Service
Monday, February 27, 2017
Registration open for 2017 NYSOM Spring Learning Event
Monday, February 13, 2017
Unity Sunday and Sacred Conversation on Race held at Safe Haven
Tuesday, February 7, 2017
UCCNY Churches join in Womens Marches
Wednesday, February 1, 2017