Home > About
We are one of the 38 regional bodies, or conferences, of the United Church of Christ. Our conference encompasses the entire state of New York and consists of approximately 276 local churches. We are committed to being led by the Spirit to faithful witness, compassionate justice, and bold Christian leadership. Guided by this mission, the ministries of the New York Conference, in all its settings, respond to the Still Speaking God and the gospel call for peace and justice. In the face of challenges, be they cultural, economic or environmental, the New York Conference stands ready to respond, relying on God’s promise that Jesus the Christ came into our midst so that we might have life and have it in abundance. We embrace the historical commitments of the United Church of Christ and have declared ourselves to be a Just Peace, Multi-Racial/Multi-Ethnic, Open and Affirming, Accessible to All, and Global Mission Conference.
The Core Values of the United Church of Christ affirm:
- That God is Still Speaking. We believe in a continuing testament, which was affirmed by John Robinson in 1620 when he said to the departing Mayflower Pilgrims: “Do not let this reformation end with Luther and Calvin, there is more light to break forth from God’s holy word”. Our faith is 2000 years old. Our thinking is not.
- No matter who you are or where you are on life’s journey, you are welcome here. We embrace an extravagant welcome to all who want to join us on our faith journey. We are a non-creedal tradition which means while we value the historic creeds of the Christian faith, we are a tradition that relies upon testimonies of a living faith and not “tests of faith”. There is no “check list” that you need to follow in order to be welcomed in our community.
- Never place a period where God has placed a comma. We believe in a Living God that is active in changing lives and changing our world. Ours is an activism that addresses the progressive social issues of our day rooted in a vital spirituality.
Learn More about the United Church of Christ
Our Statement of Covenant
We, the people of the New York Conference of the United Church of Christ, in covenant with God, relying on the Holy Spirit, and in partnership with one another, are called by Christ to empower each local setting to be vital in its spiritual life and ministry, and to nurture community and shared ministry among all our local settings, Associations and regions.To accomplish this mission, we are committed to:
- Celebrate God’s Spirit working among us through faith-sharing and worship.
- Build inclusive, in-depth, loving Christian community within and among all our local settings.
- Support and equip each local setting in its unique life and calling.
- Live by the principles of mutual empowerment in which we, as laity and authorized ministers, local settings and Associations, value each other, share our stories, and humbling listen to and learn from one another.
- Support good communication among and between all UCC settings within the New York Conference, and between the New York Conference and the national church.
- Share resources, leaders, programs, and grassroots events among local settings, Associations and regions
- Equip, educate, and nurture church leaders, both laity and authorized, in all settings of Conference life.
- Witness to the gospel, and work for justice, peace and the integrity of creation, in every setting of our church and world, both globally and locally.
- Embrace and promote multicultural and multiracial Christian community which is inclusive of all people of diverse cultures, races, genders, ages, sexual orientations, and abilities.
- Give concrete expression to our unity with all faith communities in the Body of Christ, honoring and supporting our ecumenical partnership with the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) as well as our formula of agreement with the Presbyterian Church USA, Reformed Church in America and Evangelical Lutheran Church in America.
What's happening at UCCNY.
Registration open for 2017 NYSOM Spring Learning Event
Monday, February 13, 2017
Unity Sunday and Sacred Conversation on Race held at Safe Haven
Tuesday, February 7, 2017
UCCNY Churches join in Womens Marches
Wednesday, February 1, 2017
Conference Minister endorses Camp Fowler
Wednesday, January 11, 2017
NY Conference UCC and The Berlin City Deanery (EKBO) Sign Covenantal Partnership
Monday, November 7, 2016
What's happening at UCC.
Learn more about the events at UCCNY.
State Youth Event
Friday, March 3, 2017 - Watson Homestead Conference Center
From Management to Leadership: How Leadership Styles Motivate and Empower Vital Ministry
Friday, March 17, 2017 - Watson Homestead Conference Center
Boundary Training Event in Metro
Monday, March 27, 2017 - Garden City Community Church